Exploring the Pond

1

Posted by Alissa | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on May 16, 2018

Last week our class took a trip out to the vernal pool to observe pond life.  We brought checklists so we could identify and keep track of what we found.

When we came back in, we created a list of questions we have about pond life.  We observed what we had collected in our small classroom vernal pool.  We haven’t had any luck this year hatching eggs into tadpoles.  If you have any tadpoles in a pond near you, please consider sending a few to first grade so we can watch them grow and then release  them back into nature.

Today we went to Leverett Pond.  We brought an observation sheet with us so we could record:

“I see…  I hear…  I think…  I wonder… ”

We will take our observations and make them into a book for our first grade friends at Erving Elementary School.

Serious Scientists

Silly Scientists

In other news, we finished our unit on opinion writing and have a big surprise coming out for you soon.  Hot off the press…..  but not quite ready yet to share.

We began our unit on poetry writing by honoring our moms with a hand written poem and card.

We’ve also been reading different versions of “The Fox’s Foray”, a classic folktale written back in the 1800’s and retold over generations.  Here is the video version to watch with your child:

What kind of character is the Fox?  Positive?  Negative?  Or maybe both?  We are reading the poem and book version, and watching the video to collect examples to back up our opinions.

Field trip permission slip went home today.  Look for it in the backpacks!

print

Comments (1)

Thanks so much for getting the kids out connecting their learning to the pond! Oliver has had many happy stories about his discoveries and what he has learned. Great to get a sneak peek here!

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar